On Sunday, June 14, 1959, a handful of people gathered in the old Picadome Elementary School on the site of what is now the Southside Center for Applied Technology on South Broadway. Faithful followers were willing to step away from customs and traditions to forge a new church. These beginnings, 55 years ago, were under the guidance of a young Rev. Donald R Herren. This energetic pastor inspired his flock to build up both the physical plant and the spiritual well-being of its members. Southern Hills grew from 118 members to one of the largest congregations in Lexington. During the 40 years that Dr. Herren and his wife, Pat, served, our present facility grew: Herren Hall with the first floor of the Education Building, 1961; the present Sanctuary, 1966; the Activities Building, 1977. In April 1999, Rev. A. Wayne Bishop was appointed to lead Southern Hills into the new millennium. His was a daunting task – to take the reins of leadership from our local legend and bring the congregation forward. Dr. Bill Moore came to Southern Hills in 2006 as our Senior Pastor with a vision to spread the word of God throughout the world and locally within our community. From the rental of an old school to a small lot, partially submerged in water, to an expansive complex which facilitates our numerous ministries, the people have never lost their vision. With a sense of where we have been, the future of our church will continue to grow upon the foundation that our founding members entrusted to us.